Easy Eco-Swaps For Plastic-Free July

Easy Eco-Swaps For Plastic-Free July

How was Plastic-Free July for you?  We’ve put together a round-up of our current fave eco-swaps to share with you. 

Plastic-Free July started in Australia in 2011 🌏 It is a global movement where people go on a one-month journey of zero waste living by avoiding plastic products. It is also a good time for eco-friendly aspirants to begin a sustainable lifestyle.

A report carried out by World Economic Forum states that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans. Thus, we can all take action by following some of the seven steps below. Let’s get started! 

  1. Switch up your toothbrush: Do you know that the very first toothbrush you ever used a year ago is still be in existence? Annually, we dispose of of approximately 200 million toothbrushes each year in the UK and each toothbrush can take up to 400 years to degrade!  Making the change to a more sustainable toothbrush is a simple eco-swap. We have a variety of eco-friendly dental care available, even bamboo toothbrushes for babies and children! 🌱 
  1. Reusable water bottles: More than five million plastic bottles are used daily worldwide. Imagine the amount of waste in a year or even a month! Though recycling is a good place to start for eradicating this nuisance, it is not entirely the solution. Research proves that the global recycling rate for plastic is less than 10%. This shows that there is room for improvement, and it can start with you. Instead of adding to the plastics, simply get your own reusable water bottle. 
  1. Ditch pump dispensers for bar soap: Still tackling the issue of plastic, dispensing soap pumps is just as much a nuisance as plastic water bottles. Opt for bar soaps that are palm oil, phosphate, and parabens-free. We have a great selection that you can find here. Our current fave is the fresh and minty Breathe by Natural Spa 😊 
  1. Opt for loose tea bags: Some studies have shown that when tea bags are immersed in hot water (about 95 degrees Celsius), they release millions of microplastics into your tea —especially the fancy silken bags. Ideally, this is not healthy. You should consider replacing it with loose leaf tea brewed in one of our organic cotton reusable teabags, or choose from our delicious range of Hottea Mama teas which come in plant based, plastic free, biodegradable tea bags and packaging 
  1. Try different feminine care: Cotton pads, make-up wipes, and tampons all contain some level of plastic. You can invest in muslin cloth, menstrual cups, reusable pads, and period pants – not only are they better for the environment, but they will save you money in the long-term! We have a great offer on our Cloth Sanitary Trial Kit
  1. Takeaway coffee cups are not recyclable: Just think of the number of coffee consumers daily (it’s pretty much all that keeps us going some days here at Cotswold Eco!) ☕ Some of the paper cups given as takeaway have been discovered to have a plastic lining, making it another tool for landfills. A reusable coffee cup is a simple and easy swap to make. 
  1. Keep reusable bags within reach: Get yourself a reusable grocery bag. Keep them within reach to avoid opting for plastic ones. You can stash them in your handbag, work bag, or car boot. As an added benefit, the natural fibres and mesh construction are breathable, meaning your produce will stay fresher for longer! 🌽


Why Is Plastic Harmful?

Most times, people tend to wonder if plastics are downright bad. The truth is that plastics are not exactly harmful; it is the single-use lifestyle that makes them ‘bad’. Plastic is manufactured to last forever. Over 8.3 billion tons have been created, and only 9% have been recycled, leaving a whopping 91%.

Some plastics disperse chemicals like phthalates and dioxins over time. The former can cause interference with the hormonal balance of the male reproductive system, while the latter is toxic and may cause cancer. This is why you should try to avoid the single-use lifestyle of plastic. Whenever your old plastics are worn out, replace them with a plastic-free alternative.

It takes small steps to make big changes and we’re here to help you make simple and affordable eco-swaps, at a pace that you are comfortable with! 💚

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.